Monday, October 14, 2013

Pumpkin Chili Pockets




If you follow my Instagram feed you might know that on Saturday we had the most delicious pumpkin chili for supper. I found the recipe here.

It was the perfect meal for the dark and gloomy day we had had, ticking all the right boxes when it comes to a great chili. Spicy, but not too much, thick, flavorful, the perfect toppings of sour cream, cilantro, cheese and tortilla chips. 

It was so, so good and you can imagine how happy I was that there was some left over, a rarity in our household, since B. almost always empties the pot. I can't believe he's not obese.

//

There wasn't enough left over for a substantial meal, 
but when I saw this pin on Pinterest this morning an idea was born.

I dropped spoonfuls of the chili onto pastry squares, topped it with some shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and some cilantro, made pockets and popped them in the oven for twenty minutes. 
I served them with some salsa to dip.
A delicious and easy lunch or light dinner and a great way to finish up your leftover chili.

//

It's so easy you really don't need a recipe, but I thought I'd share one anyway.

(Pumpkin) Chili Pockets (makes 4)

(I didn't measure out any ingredients so this is a wild guess as to how much you need)

Ingredients:
4 small puff pastry sheets
leftover chili (pumpkin, or any other thick chili)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cheese
some fresh cilantro
1 egg beaten

optional:
Salsa to dip

1. Heat oven to 200 c / 400 F and grease a baking sheet.

2. Thaw puff pastry for about ten minutes.

3. Drop a spoonful of chili on each square (on one side so you can easily fold the square in half diagonally) , top the chili with some cheese, the sour cream and a few leaves of cilantro.

4. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg and fold the square diagonally to make a little triangular pocket. Seal the pocket by pressing the edges with a fork.

5. Brush the top of the pockets with the remaining eggwash.

6. Pop in the oven and bake for 15 -20 minutes (until the pockets are nicely puffed up and golden brown)

7. Serve with salsa to dip.







Enjoy!

Love, Maria


5 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm, I want to try that too! We have pumpkins here in Benin and lots of chilies.
    The lovely pictures make me hungry! Lekker, lekker, lekker, yammy, yammy, yammy!
    Love, your mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks and sound so good! and i love your photos! we are into all spiced things around here and this is such a good recipe, we definetily need to try for fall !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty happy how the photos turned out! And ever happier how the pockets turned out :)!

      Delete
  3. those look professional!!! yum!! what a perfect fall meal!

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!