Friday, April 26, 2013

Baby Friendly Oatmeal Muffins - a new favorite recipe


We've been using the Baby-Led Weaning/Feeding method with Micha for three months now and we're the biggest fans, especially Micha.
Meals are a relaxing and fun family time in our house.
Micha eats and plays with his food while B. and I enjoy our meal without having to spoon-feed Micha constantly or having him eat his meal before we have ours.

Usually Micha eats a baby-fied version of what we eat: bigger pieces, no salt and less spices.
To be honest, it sometimes is a bit of a challenge to find recipes that can accommodate our way of eating.

I've learned to be creative and modify recipes so that Micha can enjoy eating alongside us.

^ ^ ^ ^

This morning I made a baby friendly version of one of my favorite breakfast foods: Oatmeal muffins.



My usual recipe includes an egg, vegetable oil and brown sugar, next to the other ingredients of course.
But to make baby friendly muffins I'd rather not use them.
I substituted the oil and the egg for apple sauce. And to make them a bit sweeter I added a smashed up banana.



While I still prefer my regular Oatmeal muffins, these ones turned out pretty well, 
if I may say so myself.

^ ^ ^ ^

Baby Friendly Oatmeal Muffins (makes 10-12 medium sized muffins):



1 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup regular milk mixed with a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup apple sauce (I used organic unsweetened)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 banana, smashed with a fork (you can use grated apple or pear instead)

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 Fahrenheit.
Soak oats and buttermilk (or milk mixture) for fifteen minutes in a medium sized bowl.
After the fifteen minutes add the apple sauce, smashed banana and vanilla extract.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
Stir dry ingredients into the oat mixture.
Fill a lined muffin tin with the batter ( I use an ice cream scoop)
Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.


Let the muffins cool before digging in!


Micha loved them.


Can't wait to hear your (or your baby's) opinion.


Have a great weekend!

Love, Maria






10 comments:

  1. looks like sweet Micha really liked it! the recipe sounds great, we`ll try this, maybe tomorrow for breakfast:), by the way I totally know what you mean, we also enjoyed really relaxed and fun family meals since trying it,Emmi learned really fast eating on her own trough that, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Micha is very pleased with the way they turned out.. !
    Just wondering though, what is the reason you prefer not to use vegetable oil?

    So glad Benthe didn't want to be spoonfed, because that absolutely did make a difference during dinnertime!

    Love you, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy food for a healthy boy! Is he wearing a muffin t-shirt?
    Please give him a big 'knuffel' from me!
    Love his oma

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this recipe sounds great!! I'm going to have to try this for my girl, Mikah. Thanks for linking up with us again my friend! It's fun to hear about your little Micha!

    xo
    Dawnelle
    Just Dawnelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum!! those sound so good! i'm going to have to save this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those sounds great! Definitely will have to try these for T and J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there colleagues, nice article and pleasant urging commented here, I am truly enjoying by these.



    my webpage - voyance par telephone

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi there, ur recipe sound great....but for 1 cup equal to how many grams? sorry i'm from Indonesia... a little bit confuse.. thankss for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son really liked them too. Can I freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having these muffins on hand would be a tasty, handy breakfast treat for my whole family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!