Thursday, April 25, 2013

A beautiful day

Over the last few days I've been reading 'Veronica decides to die' by Paolo Coelho

It's a beautiful, uplifting and crazy story about a girl who decides life isn't worth living anymore and tries to overdose on sleeping pills. But she wakes up in a mental hospital where she's told she has done so much damage to her heart that she'll only have a few days left to live. 
And there she learns what it truly means to live.

It's quite an interesting read and it left me reflecting on my life, I love when books do that to me. 

My very favorite line in the book, the one that still has me thinking,  is found on the last page:

"She would consider each day a miracle, which indeed it is, when you consider the number of unexpected things that could happen in each second of our fragile existences. "

I just love this sentiment and the truth behind it. 

Every day really is a miracle, 
and if you're lucky you'll notice it once in a while. 


^ ^ ^ ^


Yesterday was such a day, and at the end of it I felt so alive and blessed and happy.

It was my mama's birthday and I decided to take the train to visit my her and my dad.

The trip was little over an hour and lucky for me Micha fell asleep. Instead of driving I was able to put my feet up and read a book, and just let the train transport me from one train station to the other.



When we arrived at my parents house, my Oma (grandmother) and my Aunts were there as well, 
Micha was so smiley and happy and wrapping all those ladies around his little finger.


four generations

The sun was shining and it was warm so we sat outside and had some wine while we soaked up the rays.

Micha played with his toys in the shade of a tree and I was able to finally chat with my parents face-to-face, instead of Skyping or though a phone call.

We walked out back to the big grassy backyard and looked at the chickens, 
felt the grass between our toes and swung on the swings.

My parents home has never been my house, but still, it feels so much like home. I love it. 




When it was time to go, we took the train back and after a little delay, 
we arrived at the station where B. was waiting for us. 


It was almost bedtime for Micha, his cheeks were flushed and I could tell by his eyes that he was exhausted. 
I felt tired too, but the good kind of tired, the tiredness you feel after a sun filled and fun day.

After Micha was bathed and put to bed, 
B. and I curled up on the couch and ate some pizza, 
the lazy, easy, store bought kind, a perfect meal after a busy day. 

I could feel that this day in the sun had slightly burned my skin as I felt it itch and tingle. 
But I had no regrets.

It had been a beautiful day, filled with adventures, loved ones and warm sunshine.

A day that reminded me of how each day we get to live on this earth is a miracle.

I hope for more days like this one.



Love, Maria


linking up with Marissa today




5 comments:

  1. Yes, it was a beautiful day! I really enjoyed it as well! Love, (o)mamamarijke

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally loved the book Veronica decides to die...it was my second after "the Alchemist" and actually liked it the most - because of the message and sentiment! And I loved the idea of "being mad" was to live life to absolute full!!! :) Kim (SA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Oh my boys call their grandma Oma- warmed my heart!

    Thanks for linking up at Cozy Reading Spot!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of special trips with my Mom and Grandma.

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!