Thursday, May 16, 2013

A day in my life


A lot of the bloggers I follow are participating in the 'Blog everyday in May' challenge. 
I'm not participating as the whole 'blogging-every-day' part seems a little overwhelming to me, 
but I thought it would be fun to join in a few times.
Yesterday (I think) the topic was what a day in our life looks like, and that is what I'm going to share with you today.

I'm recycling a guest post I did for 'The Domestic Wannabe'. 
Some of you may have read it already, but because I didn't post it on my blog at the time I thought I'd share it now for those of you who haven't.

^ ^ ^ ^

This is what a typical day in our life looks like:

6.00 a.m. 

I wake up and hear Micha yelling from his room and go get him.
I nurse him and we both fall asleep for a little bit.

6.50 a.m.

The alarm clock goes off, it's time to get out of bed.
Micha and I cuddle a bit in bed while B. hops in the shower and gets ready for a day in front of the classroom. 



7.15 a.m.

We head downstairs and have breakfast together.
Granola, yogurt and orange juice for the adults and a rice cracker, a pear and yogurt for Micha.
We're Baby-Led weaning him and he just loves it.
He loves being in charge of what goes in his mouth and I love that it's so easy,
no puréees or spoon feeding here!
We do help him eat his yogurt by filling his spoon, but he brings it to his mouth by himself,
and he's getting better and better at it!



8.00 a.m.

B. leaves for work and we stand at the window and wave while we watch him bike away.
I then plop Micha down on the living room rug with some toys.
While he plays I clean off the table, check my email and vacuum the living room and the kitchen.



9.00 am.

Micha goes down for his nap, usually I sing him a lullaby and lay him down and that's that, but today it takes a bit more effort. I turn on his music box and he falls asleep.
I take a shower, get dressed, and put on some make-up. Then I go downstairs, make some coffee, and while it's brewing I load the dishwasher and wash some bottles.
My coffee's ready, I take it to the living room and read some blogs and do some blogging of my own.



10.45 a.m.

Micha wakes up from his nap, happy and chatting. I love when that happens, there's nothing better than a baby greeting you with smiles after a nap. I dress him and then we head downstairs to eat some fruit.  Some more pear and a slice of avocado for Micha and a kiwi for me.




11.45 a.m. 

We put on our coats, I put Micha in his stroller and we head out to do some groceries. We go for a walk at least once day. The grocery store is about a fifteen minute walk from our apartment and we usually walk through a park with a petting zoo on the way back. Micha loves animals and gets all excited when he sees the goats and chickens. For some reason the animals are inside today, I don't know why, it's beautiful outside!


^ ^ ^ ^


12.50 p.m.

We're back from our walk, we have lunch together, Micha has a slice of bread with tahini and margarine on it and I make myself a tomato and avocado sandwich.

^ ^ ^ ^

1.30 p.m.

After lunch we play together and I read him some books.
Lately I let him pick which book he wants to read,
I give him two choices and he grabs the one he wants to read.
He definitely has a favorite: 'Oh no, George', by Chris Haughton.



2.00 p.m.

Micha is rubbing his eyes and is getting a bit fussy, so it's nap time again. He goes down a bit easier than this morning. While he naps I blog.

^ ^ ^ ^

3.30 p.m.

I hear Micha chatting through the baby monitor and find him playing with his stuffed monkey in his crib.
It's beautiful and sunny outside so I decide to take us out for a walk again.
We walk to another petting zoo close by, and here all the animals are outside, Micha is so excited!




4.30 p.m. 

We're home again. I put Micha in his walker while I start up dinner.
We're having Shepherds Pie tonight, one B.'s favorites.
For Micha I make a little meatball and steam some carrots and potatoes.

^ ^ ^ ^

5.15 p.m.

B. is home from work and plays with Micha while I finish cooking dinner.





6.00 p.m.

We eat together. We make an effort to eat together at the table every night. We really believe that it's such a good thing for our family, and we want Micha to grow up to see meal time as family time.

^ ^ ^ ^

6.45 p.m.

Micha goes in bath every evening, and tonight's no different.
After he's done splashing all of the water out of playing in the tub
I dry him off and put on his Pajama's and sleep sack.
We cuddle up on the pouf in his room where I read some books, pray with him and sing some lullabies.
I turn of the lights and nurse him.
When he's done I put him in bed, give him a kiss and sneak out of his room.

^ ^ ^ ^

7.00 p.m.

We hear some sleepy noises through the monitor, but he quickly falls asleep.

^ ^ ^ ^

7.30 p.m.

B. leaves for bible study, too bad it's not at our house this time because now I'm missing out.
I make myself some tea (I recently stopped drinking coffee in the evenings) and curl up on the couch to watch some episodes of 'Call the Midwife' on the laptop (such a great series!!).

^ ^ ^ ^

9.00 p.m.

B. comes home.  He has a beer and I have a little glass of wine and we chat about our day and watch some of our series on the laptop.



11.00 p.m.

We hear Micha crying, I nurse him back to sleep and put him back in his crib.
 B. and I are pretty exhausted so we both go to bed soon after.
Good night!

We'll do this whole thing over tomorrow!

^ ^ ^ ^

Exciting stuff huh? :)

Yesterday my blog friend Darlene posted her 'day in the life' and she ended by saying how grateful she is to be spending her days as a stay-at-home mama.
She is so right!
I feel so blessed and lucky to be home with my baby in this season of life.
I wouldn't want it any other way!



Love, Maria


















1 comment:

  1. lovely! I find my boys thrive off of routine- Micha is a pretty lucky boy! I would be a happy baby in a house full of that much love! miss you guys! xo

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!