Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Baking Bread



There isn't a thing in the world that beats the warm and sweet aroma of bread baking in the oven.

I just love the entire process of baking bread.
From carefully reading an interesting new, or old and well loved recipe,
to measuring out the ingredients,
dissolving yeast in warm water and watch it bubble and grow.
Mixing everything together and kneading the until the dough feels soft and smooth.

My stand mixer makes the process oh so easy, but I love to knead the dough by hand for a couple of minutes after the machine has done its work.
I need to feel the dough to make sure it's just perfect.

It always amazes me how beautifully the dough rises 
and even before the bread enters the oven, 
the aroma of the yeast doing its work fills the kitchen.

Once the bread is in the oven, all I have to do is wait.
The smells coming out of the kitchen are heavenly.
I peek in the oven a few times and when I think it might be time I gently tap the top, 
if it sounds hollow it's ready.

I can hardly wait until the bread is cool enough to cut off a slice, 
which I then slather with butter, take a bite and savor the deliciousness that is freshly baked bread. 

It really is one of the best things.

^ ^ ^

I found this recipe shared by Mary Beth from the blog Annapolis and Company 
(great blog by the way),
and tried it the other weekend.
It's a really good recipe and makes a chewy (bring on that glorious gluten!) and soft loaf.
I needed to add a bit more flour then stated in the recipe, 
but other than that it's a simple and easy recipe to follow.

The recipe makes two loaves and I added raisins to one loaf, I actually prefer it that way.
Too bad for me that I'm allergic to hazelnuts, 
but I can only imagine how delicious that would be if added as well.

^ ^ ^ 

Do you love baking bread as well? Have you ever baked bread? 
If not, do it! It is so easy!

Love, Maria


3 comments:

  1. Hey littler sis!
    I missed your blogs this week.
    You are so right about the comforting smell of bread baking. reminds me of the old times :).
    My talent is more in the smelling and eating department, but the proces sounds pretty therapeutic to me.
    Love you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread! I need to learn how to make bread, for some reason it intimidates me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good...Never paid so much attention to the bread baking process! love it:) and fresh bread just makes the long winter evenings much more fun.so I guess I need a long list of bread recipes and this will also be on it...happy advent weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!